This is the kind of post you mull around in for months. It is with a sad and happy heart that I tell you I will not be returning to Mustard Seed School next year. I am going to study at Columbia's Teachers College. I will be enrolled as a Social-Organizational Psychology student.
I am want to learn more about how people work together to accomplish a goal. My curiosity has been ignited as I watch groups of Mustard Seed School students roll through fifth grade. Each group is unique; each group takes on its own personality. There are some struggles that persist no matter who is in fifth grade, and there are other struggles that are unique to each group.
I want to apply what I have begun to learn here about the importance of community, breaking big projects in to small steps, and working hard to the broader field of education. One of the things I am curious about is the amount of schools that are failing to provide quality education for their students. I want to think about big-picture ways to help administrators and policy writers make good decisions for the students in these schools in particular.
I will always carry Mustard Seed School in my heart, head and hands. I have learned so much about love, the craft of teaching, and the hard work required to teach.
The school will send out an official email this evening.
--