Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Making Space for Homework

As we conclude our fifth grade year, it is imperative that students maintain their homework routines. Consistently completing homework gets increasingly difficult as we add concerts, sports, and general spring fever to the mix.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy giving fifth graders their assignments each Friday. They can manage their homework and their after-school activities. Tuesday (May 3) I gave fifth graders their homework that is to be turned in on Friday. I have assured them that there will be extra study hall this week. I know that many students are involved in Firefly concerts.

One way to "invite" students to do their homework is to have fifth graders prepare a space to complete homework. This is the time, now or this weekend, to carve out or reestablish the homework spot. Fifth graders should be in charge of organizing the space. They need to make sure that there is enough light, pens, pencils, paper. They may even want to put a couple peaceful (or entertaining) pictures up.

Some students may be interested in creating a calendar with important dates between now and the end of the year. Other students may want to make a paper chain, or another way of marking time between now and important end of the year events.

If your fifth grader needs some graph paper, pens, pencils, have them talk to me. I even have a few post-its I would be willing to share. And if fifth graders ask really nicely, I might even be able to dig up a highlighter or two.

The point is to like the space where you do your homework. You don't have to like the homework but like the space where you do it.