Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Letter From Ms. Rupke

Dear 5th Graders,



It’s hard to believe that this school year is coming to a close, already. I’m sure that it seems it was just yesterday that fifth grade was beginning. Here we are, preparing for Field Day, commencement, and saying good-bye to each other for the summer. I’ve heard from Mrs. Choi and have seen that you have accomplished much this year; an outstanding MLK celebration, partnering with the second graders, developing your computer skills, creating model roller coasters to name just a few.



You’ve probably already started to think about your upcoming sixth grade year. You may feel excited, you may feel anxious, you probably feel a mixture of both. I’m going to write you a few letters before the end of the year, just to fill you in on some information and thoughts to take with you over the summer.



I’ve heard that you are a class that loves to read. So do I. Next year, we will be reading and talking about what we’ve read each week in advisory groups. You will attend one advisory group this Friday, just to get a feel for what its like. I’m looking forward to learning about you as readers; what genres you most enjoy, what your current favorite is and what books you’ve read over the summer. Reading will be a big part of the afternoon that we spend together, as a class.



Next year, you will also be starting to participate in Academic Teams. Academic teams fill up Monday-Thursday mornings, you will be in Science, Social Studies, Art, Music and PE with a mixture of middle school students. But you won’t start teams officially until October. We have the first month of the school year to get used to the new schedule, and you will spend the entire day with your sixth grade class. During these days, we will start to prepare ourselves for what Teams will look like.



I will write to you again before the end of the week with more thoughts about sixth grade. I hope that you’re surviving the heat this week!!



Peace,
Ms. Rupke