Friday, January 14, 2011

Some feedback on our performance

From the adults:

Ah, what praises might I have give 5th graders today?

Let's start with acuity and strength. I heard no mistakes or pauses or missteps. I did hear every word in every poem from every speaker. That is impressive. The volume of work was marked by clarity and importance. Every voice presented an important piece and together all the pieces made something beautiful. Thank you.

I also heard some special moments. My favorite poem of all is I Have Known Rivers. I have asked 8th grade students to memorize it for its meaning and beauty and they have done so - with difficulty. It is a challenge that is worth it, I think. Thanks for that, AA. My new favorite might be, I think, Daybreak in Alabama, thanks to CD. Also, I so loved ZOH's voice in that very familiar poem, From Mother to Son. Kudos to all of you who went the extra step of reciting King's important speech.

Finally, I must talk about your appearance. Your stage presence was just right - and I do know you did it twice today. That takes a great deal of energy, intelligence, and composure. I was also very delighted to see all your abstracts and the ways in which they expressed meaning. Again, each piece was so important, and, together, all the pieces made something beautiful. I hope to see those pieces again.

Wonderful work for a wonderful day. I so look forward to Monday!


Ms. Hanson


"I really enjoyed the Fifth Grade's presentation in worship today. I loved the visuals, the artwork and the wonderful ways MLK's words were presented."


"The Fifth Grade did a lovely job this morning. I particularly appreciated the use of the "I Have a Dream" speech."

From sixth graders:

"You guys did awesome! You guys spoke proud and noble. You should be proud of yourselves; here are some things we noticed: you guys knew the words; you spoke clearly; you all spoke with enthusiasm, and you sang awesome! Last year we were really nervous, and you guys didn't seem nervous at all! Great job fifth grade!"