Thank you for making math part of your Thursday night plan!
As I listened to our alumni share their experiences as high school mathematicians, I was reminded again that as a community we are building strong and flexible mathematical thinkers. To say that I felt proud of each of our alumni panelists would be an understatement, to say I got a bit teary-eyed would describe what happened.
Rebeca (Montclair Kimberly, freshman) said something that surprised me. She noted that one of the benefits of having math at Mustard Seed School is learning to communicate with teachers. Rebeca learned to seek help and ask for clarification; through conversations here with teachers she built a foundation for further mathematical thinking. She learned to ask specific questions instead of saying, "I don't understand!" By asking specific questions, Rebeca also learned that she knew more than she thought she did.
Caroline (Kent Place, freshman) shared words of encouragement regarding homework help. She easily recalled tough homework nights, and now she can see how those tough nights fit in to a broader hope her parents and staff have for her. We hope (and know) she will do well in mathematics, and as a high school freshmen she is taking geometry after placing out of Algebra 1.
Thank you parents and alumni for sharing your evening, thoughts, and questions!